With a family of 10, you could say our furniture is well-loved (and that would be putting it nicely). For as hard as I try to keep it clean and in good shape, it’s starting to show it’s age and is not quite as comfortable as it used to be. Although I have dreams of new sofas, the reality is, that we have to make due for now (or, most likely, for a long time) So, I decided to add a large pillow to the middle of the couch to add a bit of extra cushion and support.
The original pillows are still on the sofa, just off to the side to try to disguise that really uncomfortable wood piece that seems to be bulging out of each side.
Using items I had at home already (my favorite way to DIY!) I added a bit of life to a saggy sofa.
If you like this DIY, join me on IG @ perfectlydestressed! I am always up to something!
First I found my bit of fabric from my scrap supply. After ensuring it was the proper width and length for the large pillow I was covering. (Sorry. I forgot to snap a picture of the pillow. It was actually a dog bed I found on clearance at the pet store years ago that my kids used as a floor cushion in the basement!) Repurpose, repurpose, repurpose!
I knew I wanted the slipcover to be removable and washable because, you know, 8 kids and 2 dogs…..
I decided to use these metal grommets I had in my craft crap. After sewing together 3 sides of the fabric, I placed the grommets where I wanted to install them. Note: I did this by eye. Might be good to measure and mark to make sure it’s lined up correctly! I tend to skimp on these types of steps and wing it – doesn’t always turn out so great!
Next was to solve the conundrum of what in the world to use to hold the grommets together. I needed something easily removed, but sturdy enough to withstand constant use. I decided to go with these brass fasteners we had in the office supplies.
Seriously so easy!
Sometimes it’s the simplest hacks that are the best!
Ta-Da! They actually work perfectly! And they match the grommets which was not planned (love it when that happens!)
I have already had to remove the cover and wash it. It was SO easy to undo the fasteners. And the grommets washed up just fine.